Community languages play an important part in maintaining the diversity of languages and cultures in Australia and learning of community languages during school years contributes to the cohesion of the social and cultural tapestry of Australia. Community Languages Australia (CLA) offers options to communities who are keen to maintain their language and cultural heritage which are not available through any other single system.
CLA is funded by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment to deliver a 4 years project 2019-2022, which is to support and coordinate community languages in Australia.
CLA will support:
- community languages education for Australian school students,
- community languages schools providing quality community languages education to support the increase in Australian school students undertaking community language studies; and
- professional development of community languages teachers.
The plan covers the following areas
- Student Engagement
- National Activities and Leadership,
- Support for Community Languages Schools
An annual Project Plan is developed.
You can view the current project plan pdf here: 2020-2021 Project Plan CLA Public